[Sca-cooks] custards

Philip Edward Lewis flip+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Apr 24 12:57:24 PDT 2006

Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> writes:
>What are some examples of savory custards? It is possible I've had
>such, but don't remember them as custards.
What is the defining characteristic of custards?
Quiche is essentially a custard pie, is it not?

http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=86827
has some interesting factoids.

My gut feeling is that the difference between scrambled eggs and
custard is mostly texture, and perhaps the addition of unprocessed
dairy.

>Do you have any favorite savory custard recipes?
>Especially those that can be done in the microwave?

no recipes, as such... but i've often thrown beaten eggs, some milk
or cheese, and various veggies in the microwave for a quick meal.

http://users.iafrica.com/m/me/melisant/cook/custard.htm
has a few medieval recipies transcribed by Baroness Jehanne de
Huguenin. (Woo hoo!)

>That sounds like it might be easy to do.
it really is... I'm almost embarrassed to admit i use the "nuke" for
much of my heating/cooking of foods. In the winter, it contributes to
the heating of the house, so i don't feel as bad. ;) Of course now
that summer is upon us, the grill (which i *do* use in the winter,
just not as much) will be the workhorse.

If you are on low carb, 1 egg, 3 packs splenda (about 2tbl sweetening
power), 1 cup Milk (which has lactos carbs unfortunately), and
flavoring makes for a nice custard.

Adjusting the application of heat supplied by the microwave can make
for a smoother end product. (see my bread pudding adaptation in the
"embarrasment of riches" thread)

Generally, I use a high heat to bring things up to temperature (just
as the mix starts to foam) then reduce the power so that it doesn't
or only *just* starts foam/ing before going to the "rest" cycle of
the heat.  (Most microwaves you can hear the change)

Remove the splenda/sweetener and add some veggies/meat/cheese and
you've got your savory custard.
(depending on how you like your veggies, you may need to cook them first)

Add a tablespoon (+-) of soy flour, and you can worry less about the
heat (let it boil till thick) and end up with a nice pudding.

--
May no harm befall you,
flip