[Sca-cooks] Really Spiffy Decorated Eggs

Radei Drchevich radei at moscowmail.com
Mon Apr 24 15:44:43 PDT 2006

whould this blip help?

From: "jehan.yves" <jehan.yves at signofthetiger.com> Save Address Block Sender This Is Spam
To: "Cooks within the SCA" <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
CC:
Subject: [Sca-cooks] Pysanky Eggs
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 01:23:09 -0400

Show Full Headers	Back To [INBOX]

Kiri-san,
Teofilia tried to send this to you directly, but we got a bounce
message back, so I decided to send it here:

> Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 22:17:09 -0400
> To: Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1 at comcast.net
> From: Nancy Karat-May <Nancy.May at signofthetiger.com>
> Subject: Pysanky eggs
>
> Heard you were looking for documentation for Pysanky eggs.
> "POLISH CUSTOMS, TRADITIONS, & FOLKLORE " BY Sophie Hodorowicz Knab
> , Hippocrene Books, New York, revised edition , 1996
> page 100 "Pisanki were batik style eggs on which wax was carefully
> supplied in patterns with a stylus before they were placed in
> colored dyes.  Other styles were known as Oklejane and Naleplanki,
> when the outside of the egg was decorated with a variety of
> materials such as colored paper or straw.
> Their origin can also be attributed to the early mystery plays,
> which began in Italy and spread slowly throughout Europe, and were
> especially popular in Poland during the time of Zygmunt III
> (1566-1632) "
> page 105 "As a symbol of fertility, the egg played a critical role
> in almost all customs and traditions throughout the year.  Up until
> the middle 1800,s the elaborately decorated and ornamental eggs
> called Pisanki served as gifts in the Polish wooing and courtship
> process."
> Page 107"The oldest written knowledge of Pisanki at the grave side
> was documented in the life of St. Hedwig, which was penned after
> her canonization in 1267.  The many miraculous healings attributed
> to this saint were documented by the wife of King Henryk Brodaty.
> who told the following story:  When the son of a prominent judge
> was still unable to walk at  eight years of age, his mother brought
> the boy to the grave of St. Hedwig in her arms and was praying to
> St. Hedwig to heal him when, lo!, a miracle happened.  In the
> presence of the priest who baptized him and the abbess of the
> monastery,  the boy suddenly; stood up, took an egg that lay before
> him and walked around the saint's grave.  The abbess took other
> decorated eggs and threw them at the feet of the young boy,
> compelling him to walk further from the tomb.  This miracle is said
> to have happened  near Easter between 1274 and 1287."
>
> Author Rev. Czestaw Krysa, who is Associate Professor at the
> SS.Cyril and Methodius Seminary in Orchard Lake, Michigan, is an
> authority on Polish folklore and winner of the Oskar Kolberg award
> for 1991, Poland's most prized award in ethnography and folklore.
> Teofilia Karatkiewicz (Nancy Karat-May)

JehanYves

From: "Sandra Kisner" <sjk3 at cornell.edu> Save Address Block Sender This Is Spam
To: "Cooks within the SCA" <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
CC:
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Pysanky Eggs
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 14:37:35 -0400

Show Full Headers	Back To [INBOX]

> can anyone tell me where I can get the equiptment to do pysanky?  I have
> been looking for a stylist for a very long time.

There's a place in NYC near Union Square that had pysanky supplies.
The stylus (kistka) they had wasn't exactly like mine, but looked
just fine.  They also had dyes.  I think the name was Surma.

Sandra _