[Sca-cooks] Preserved Lemon Recipes - Modern - One

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 24 16:05:10 PDT 2006

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
> Duke Cariadoc already sent the only SCA-period recipe that uses
> preserved lemon that has been translated into English that i know of.
>
> But in his long essay on Medieval Arab cuisine and cookbooks, "Studies
> in Arabic Manuscripts Related to Cookery" (republished in "Medieval
> Arab Cookery"), Maxime Rodinson notes there is a recipe for making
> preserved lemon and 3 recipes using it in al-Kitab al-wusla ila
> al-habib fi wasf al-tayyibat wa al-tib, which he translates as "The
> Book of the Bonds of Friendship or a Description of Good Dishes and
> Perfumes" (but is also sometimes called "The Book of the Link to the
> Beloved").
>
> While this book contains a number of recipes repeated in al-Baghdadi's
> "al-Kitab al-Tabikh", it also has even more that are not. And
> unfortunately the preserved lemon recipes have not been translated
> into English to the best of my knowledge. In a foot note, Rodinson
> says that in the recipe for making preserved lemons, "The lemon is
> split lengthwise and then filled with coarse salt. It is left thus for
> two nights and then kept in lemon juice covered with oil." (footnote
> 1, p. 144, "Medieval Arab Cookery")
>
> I'll be typing in modern preserved lemon recipes a few at a time. I
> haven't tried these recipes, but they're from books i trust, from
> which i've cooked other recipes.
>
> Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
> the persona formerly known as Anahita
Thanks for the recipes.  By the way, I finally was able to try your Lamb
and Apricot Tagine that you shared some time back...it was excellent!!!
So I really appreciate the recipes you share...I think I told you that I
used some of them in my ME feast back in February...which was very well
received.

Kiri