[Sca-cooks] 16th C non-alcoholic drinks?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 24 16:11:01 PDT 2006

I'm reposting this. I posted it on Saturday, and while that's only 2
days ago, it is also TEN list digests ago! I just don't want my
urgent plea to be lost in discussions of Pysanky eggs and dishes
using salted lemons, and cheese, sausage and wine.

----- REPOST -----

I have offered to help provide refreshments for a 16th century salon
that will be at our Kingdom Beltane.

I have few books on 16th century European food. Those i've gone
through list very limited non-alcoholic beverages.

Can anyone recommend sources for 16th century non-alcoholic
beverages? I'm not a brewer and won't be making ale or cider between
now and then.

Thanks for any pointers to sources.

----- END REPOST -----

I will add:
I've made Clarea de Agua a few times. I've made various non-alcoholic
versions of Hypocras. I've made 13th c. Andalusian syrup beverages
(lemon and pomegranate). What can i make - besides buttermilk - for
the salon?

Thanks again,
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)