[Sca-cooks] 16th C non-alcoholic drinks?

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 16:52:42 PDT 2006

Greetings

I believe that the reason you have not really received any response to
this question is because many of us are in the exact same boat as you.
I have yet to find any really good documentation for non-alchoholic
beverages to serve at feasts or such. The only responses that I could
have given were for Clarea, or the various Jallabs out of Anon.
Andalus - which I had assumed you already had.

I have served homemade Ginger Ales, Birch Beers and Root Beers at
feasts - but do not have any documentation for them. I have spiced
diluted Apple drinks with mead like things - but again, it is just
fudgeing things to try and mimic alchoholic beverages while avoiding
the cost and the Copora.

Honey and water dates all the way back to Rome and is found in Platina
- but it is pretty much that, honey and water. I serve it at feast for
those here in the South that must have something that approximates the
tooth rotting Sweet Tea.

If you come up with anything, please pass it on.

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva