[Sca-cooks] 16th C non-alcoholic drinks?

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Apr 25 15:43:17 PDT 2006

I checked the new edition of La Varenne by Scully.
There's Lemonade and Orangeade as well as a selection
of Italian Waters. These are in the French Confectioner.

I suppose bottled spring or still waters of choice would be an
option also. Or let everyone BYOB or just provide chilled sodas with
ice and finely chopped ice/snow. Summer requires ice these days.
The USA seems to have provided
itself with a multitude of drinks that go far beyond what the rest of
the world offers. This question of ice or no ice and how cold is a
can of chilled soda is still something one encounters in England today.
I know I turned down a lot of warm cans of sodas on this last trip.

Johnnae