[Sca-cooks] 16th C non-alcoholic drinks?

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 25 19:45:05 PDT 2006

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> Thanks, Kiri, for La Varenne's lemon syrup beverage - i'll find the
> original recipe. I may just go for that, since there is lemon syrup in
> the 13th c. and lemon syrup in the 17th c... I just made a batch of
> Andalusian lemon syrup 2 weekends ago (and a batch of ginger syrup
> from no recipe, just my own head) which we served at the first ever
> day board at the Mists-Cynagua War (period recipes were not required,
> but we did avoid obviously New World ingredients)

I wish I were the one who sent the recipe...the only one I have is the
lemon-ginger syrup that I got either from you or someone else on the
list (may have been Selene....).  I did check several sources, including
Peter Brears' sections in 10,000 years of British Cooking, but found
nothing that wasn't alcoholic.  There was a possett that was served warm
and looked like it might be great for chilly weather...but it had
alcohol in it.

I wish you luck with your venture...

Kiri