[Sca-cooks] 16th C non-alcoholic drinks?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 25 19:04:41 PDT 2006

Duriel wrote:
>Here are a whole bunch:
>   http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/drinks.html

I appreciate your attempt to be helpful, Duriel,
HOWEVER,
-- the first recipe is a fermented beverage from Digby, whom i
already mentioned as having butt-loads of fermented beverages, and I
want to make NON-alcoholic beverages;
-- the next bunch are from the 13th century Andalusian cookbook,
which i already mentioned, from which i have made many of these
before for various events, and which is clearly not from the 16th
century;
-- and the last is hypocras, which i already mentioned, as I've made
about 4 or 5 different kinds of pseudo-hypocras with juice not wine,
so i already know the routine - and one of my hypocras recipes is on
my own website.

Thanks, Kiri, for La Varenne's lemon syrup beverage - i'll find the
original recipe. I may just go for that, since there is lemon syrup
in the 13th c. and lemon syrup in the 17th c... I just made a batch
of Andalusian lemon syrup 2 weekends ago (and a batch of ginger syrup
from no recipe, just my own head) which we served at the first ever
day board at the Mists-Cynagua War (period recipes were not required,
but we did avoid obviously New World ingredients)

Thanks, also, to Daniel for mentioning Martha Washington's book...
it's here somewhere. I had a leak in my workroom - we've had so much
rain here this winter and spring, it never leaked before - and i had
to move many of my cookbooks. It only leaks when the wind is blowing
a certain way, and that can be rather unpredictable, so my workroom
is more disorderly than usual.

Since we're camping, perhaps something rustic like buttermilk or whey
might be suitable...
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita