[Sca-cooks] non-political sallets

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Apr 25 21:48:42 PDT 2006

Last Thursday Jadwiga Zajaczkowa posted a message about salads and
pottages.

What is a political sallet? No, I really don't want to know. :-)

=====
Not to interupt the political discussion, but I'm teaching my Sallets &
Green Pottages class again this Saturday. I'm pretty sure I'm missing
some useful Salad recipes from my handout (I think I've asked for
feedback on the handout before, but it's always welcome). Yes, Stefan, I
*have* looked in the Florilegium file *grin*
=====

Good, because although I spent a lot of time reading this list last
week, I'm still so far behind in reading this list (Some people talk
a lot. No, don't answer that, either. :-) ) that I'm only now seeing
your message.

It looks like you found the salads-msg file. Did you also find this
file?

Summer-Salad-art  (17K) 11/28/00    "A Summer Salad" by Lady Jehanne
de Huguenin
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Summer-Salad-art.html

====
Anyway period recipes for salads & cooked greens would be welcome.

BTW, here's the handout:
http://gallowglass.org/jadwiga/SCA/cooking/greens.html
====

A nice overview of salads and cooked greens of different types with
some info I don't think I've seen before. May I add your handout to
the Florilegium?

====
Also this definition of Green pottages:
Basically, this class uses the term to describe cooked greens, and
especially cooked greens with a liquid.
Cooked greens thickened with a little milk, almond milk, eggs, cheese,
and/or broth is a standard of medieval cooking.
====

I also have this file in the FOOD-VEGETABLES section. But I was
classing greens as those cooked in water. Not with all this other
stuff added. But I think you may be classing these as pottages rather
than just cooked greens. I guess I was thinking of pottages and
porridges being interchangeable and both more out of grains than
vegetables. Hmmm.

greens-msg        (11K)  1/25/05    Period cooked, leafy vegetables.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com