[Sca-cooks] Non-feast cooking

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Apr 26 10:30:48 PDT 2006

> I'm curious:   The Pottage of Cracked Wheat, you substituted barley
for the wheat.  Now, I love barley as much as anyone, but I wondered
why you choose that.  Also wondering why you don't have the almond milk,
sugar and saffron listed as optional.

Thanks for catching that; the first recipe, for cracked barley, was
omitted on the page:

40. POTTAGE OF CRACKED BARLEY

POTAJE DE FARRO (29)

You will take farro and wash it with cold water two or three times; and
when you have washed it well, put it in the pot where it must cook and
cast in good hen's broth with the farro all together and cook it on the
fire; when it is more than half cooked, you will take good almond milk
and cast it in the pot; and then you will put good sugar in the pot
while the pot cooks; and when it is well-cooked, take it away from the
fire wrapped in a cloth. And when it has rested well, prepare dishes and
cast sugar and cinnamon on them.

And likewise if you wish to make sauce you can make it just the same.
And if perhaps you wish to make a dish of cracked barley which will be
delicate, make it in this manner: take the farro and cook it in good
hen's broth, or mutton broth, and when it is more than half cooked,
strain it through a woolen cloth; and the strained liquor that comes out
must finish cooking with the almond milk; and cook it until it is
thickened and then cast sugar upon the dishes; and this dish is good for
invalids because it is very delicate.

-----------

Taken together, the two recipes mean to me that if you want to cook
cracked wheat or barley, and your broth is fatty enough, you can safely
omit the optional almond milk, etc.

The reason I don't list those as optional on my recipe online is 'cos I
originally put it up as documentation from a feast, so it only shows
what was done for the feast. I've done it both ways.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on
imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand."
	-- Harry S. Truman