[Sca-cooks] A pleasant Italian Fish recipe

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 26 13:06:22 PDT 2006

Here is a period recipe that I have made at a banquet for 300.  Even people
who professed to hate salmon and fish said they liked this:

>From Gervase Markham's The English Huswife:

To seeth fresh Salmon.

Take a little water, and as much Beere and Salt,
and put thereto Parsley, Time, and Rosemarie, and
let all thes boyle together; then put in your
Salmon, and make your broth sharpe with some
Vinigar.

I also make this for my family, although I simplify it down considerably.

For them, I pour a can of beer into a deep frying pan and add the spices.
When boiling, I put in the salmon, either steaks or fillets and then
sprinkle with balsamic vinegar.  It usually takes about 10 to 12 minutes
to poach the salmon.

Huette