[Sca-cooks] A pleasant Italian Fish recipe

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Thu Apr 27 02:06:47 PDT 2006

Am Mittwoch, 26. April 2006 19:01 schrieb Katherine Throckmorton:
> Giano wrote
>
> > I don't know how regulations are in the USA, but here we often get live
> > fish sold on the market. You pick one in the basin, they spike it, gut it
> > and wrap it for you. That's fresher than some people are comfortable
> > with.
>
> It is legal in the US, but the only stores that I know of that sell fish
> that way are the specialty Asian markets.  Even then the selection isn't
> always that great, at least in my area, often only catfish and talapia, as
> well as some shellfish.

As to selection, that's basically 'Do you want trout or carp' most times.
Occasionally, if you're lucky, you can get estuarine fish sold that way, but
that's because we have some fishing boats restarting operations locally (the
Elbe hads cleaned up tremendously over the last 20 years. When I was a little
kid, our parents forbade us to even play in the water. Today, we can eat the
fish they catch in it. Yay treehuggers!)

There's really no big market for fresh fish. Most people (me included)
wouldn't know what to do with it other than what we do with the frozen stuff.

Giano