[Sca-cooks] OT - Crypto-American-Idlers

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Apr 27 06:25:20 PDT 2006

On Apr 27, 2006, at 6:26 AM, Laura C. Minnick wrote:

> At 03:17 AM 4/27/2006, you wrote:
>
>> On Apr 27, 2006, at 5:44 AM, Dianne & Greg Stucki wrote:
>>
>>> I had an Auntie Anne's pretzel with cheese sauce, and American Idol.
>>
>> And Keppler Pimply goes DOOOOWN!!!
>>
>> Ada... uhmmm... 'Lainie (the kid had it on... honest)
>>
>> (No, really, I mean it...)
>
> Hey! What is this taking my name in vain thing, huh? I've never
> even seen American Idol. Last time I watched tv was... um... 3, 4
> weeks ago? maybe...
>
> 'Lainie

If nobody took your name in vain, they'd have to admit in a public
forum that they have someone in their home that watches "American
Idol". Which might be regarded by some as a little embarrassing. For
myself, I'll say there is very nearly no limit to the cr at p I will
watch on television. I'm a man who wrote a well-received paper on the
parallels between Chaucer and the Three Stooges, and my new favorite
art movie is an early '70's exploitaganza called "Blackenstein". The
name says it all: words can't do justice to its avant-garde status.

But even I have to draw the line somewhere, so if someone took your
name in vain in order to avoid deep shame, I can understand why they
might have done it. But I'm not so sure. Are you sure you weren't
watching American Idol, wherein, I am told, somebody named Klappy
Prickle received her just comeuppance at the hands of a Benevolent
and Merciful Providence?

Could Amurrican Idle be the roadmap to the vast Jungian landscape we
call the ego, as it struggles with the id? Could the fiendish Crowley
Spitter (or was it Chippy Pringle?) be a metaphor for our own dark
impulses, and could not her Bad Day be seen as a triumph of the
superego, of Reason over Chaos?

It's okay, 'Lainie. You can tell us you watched it. You're among
friends... we're here for you...

Adamantius (growing beard, changing name, moving to another country)

Holt, 07/29/04