[Sca-cooks] OT - Crypto-American-Idlers

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 27 08:14:36 PDT 2006

> If nobody took your name in vain, they'd have to admit in a public
> forum that they have someone in their home that watches "American
> Idol". Which might be regarded by some as a little embarrassing. For
> myself, I'll say there is very nearly no limit to the cr at p I will
> watch on television. I'm a man who wrote a well-received paper on the
> parallels between Chaucer and the Three Stooges, and my new favorite
> art movie is an early '70's exploitaganza called "Blackenstein". The
> name says it all: words can't do justice to its avant-garde status.

I really need to hang out with you some time, even if you're on the
opposite coast.  I frequently expound on the subject of "Commedia
Dell'Arte:  The First Sitcom."  My best paper in film school connected
the Hitchcock favorite NORTH BY NORTHWEST with THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E.
and included a map of the action which proved that it was really more
West By Northwest.

How does BLACKENSTEIN compare with BLACKULA?  William Marshall's fine
voice always did it for me, I'd have listened to that man read the phone
book.  Bwahaha.

I didn't get into "American Idol" but I have my own embarrassing viewing
habits, including Star Trek episodes that I'd memorized 30+ years ago.
 My TV crap-watching lately has been multi-cultural;  my regular TiVo
list includes DOTCHI COOKING SHOWDOWN which is one of those really cruel
Japanese game shows that tortures the contestants by letting them watch
chefs make favorite dishes and not letting them taste unless they are
very, very lucky.  The subtitles are almost unnecessary, except for the
filmed segments about special high-end ingredients and their production
methods, which is the most interesting part for us Culinary Historian types.

Oh, and LOST, which is driving me crazy with all the "clip shows" this
season, including last night's.  Arrrrgh!  We want the Story!

Pass the popcorn,
Selene