[Sca-cooks] Silq bi-laban (spinach and sesame [sic] dip)

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Apr 27 21:23:08 PDT 2006

Sue mentioned:

       You are absolutely right, there is no sesame but garlic in this
recipe. We plan to serve it as an appetizer.

       Recently, all my files were riped out by a virus and I thought
did
not have a backup of the recipe. By pure chance I found my Spanish
translation of it the other day, which roughly translated back into
English is:

*Silq bi-laban (spinach and garlic dip)*

*           * Heat a frying pan and add olive oil. Add mashed garlic and
stir for 10 seconds. Add spinach, lower the heat and cover for one
minute. Stir, cover and leave it another minute or until the spinach
leaves wilt. Let it cool.

       Make a puree of this mixture. Put it in a bowl and add yogurt
(1/4
in comparison to the cream added) and sour cream, lemon juice, salt and
pepper. Mix it well and refrigerate.

      Serve with pita bread.

First, welcome to the SCA-Cooks list, Sue. I'm glad you've felt like
sticking around a bit. From what you've mentioned to me in email, I
think you have a lot to offer us and hopefully some of the folks here
can offer some things in return.

Can anyone give a rough proportion of spinach to cream/yogurt etc in
this dish? I can see this as ending up as anything from a bit of
spinach accented sour cream dip to layers of softened spinach with an
accent of sour cream/yogurt.

Although not necessarily considered a finger food, I can see where
this might be good on a dayboard. Or perhaps one of those medieval
dishes for a mundane group or one that thinks medieval food is "too
wierd".

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas