[Sca-cooks] lamb vs. mutton

Micheal dmreid at hfx.eastlink.ca
Sat Apr 29 08:56:13 PDT 2006

> While considering some other aspects of lamb, it occurred to me that a key
> difference between a lamb and a sheep is sexual maturity.  Different
> breeds mature at different rates but the average is 6 to 8 months.  Modern
> breeding recommendations suggest 13 months for males and 15 months for
> females. Castration for wethers is recommended after 3 months.
>
> Interestingly, Platina states that castration should be at 5 months.  The
> variance in castration times suggests that modern diet may lead to earlier
> maturation, but lacking corroborating evidence, that is pure speculation.
>
> Bear
  Personally I would say this is a development of modern farming practices
rather then dietary concerns. It is a matter of economics, sexual
development takes a lot of energy, which for the case of meat animals is
pointless. Better to spend the money on developing meat which means more
profit.
 Cealian