[Sca-cooks] lamb vs. mutton

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Apr 29 09:49:06 PDT 2006

>> While considering some other aspects of lamb, it occurred to me that a
>> key
>> difference between a lamb and a sheep is sexual maturity.  Different
>> breeds mature at different rates but the average is 6 to 8 months.
>> Modern breeding recommendations suggest 13 months for males and 15 months
>> for females. Castration for wethers is recommended after 3 months.
>>
>> Interestingly, Platina states that castration should be at 5 months.  The
>> variance in castration times suggests that modern diet may lead to
>> earlier maturation, but lacking corroborating evidence, that is pure
>> speculation.
>>
>> Bear
>  Personally I would say this is a development of modern farming practices
> rather then dietary concerns. It is a matter of economics, sexual
> development takes a lot of energy, which for the case of meat animals is
> pointless. Better to spend the money on developing meat which means more
> profit.
> Cealian

Possibly, but modern farm practices (leaving aside the issue of "better
living through chemistry" growth hormones) for meat production largely
revolve around diet and age/weight ratios.  The improved diet may accelerate
maturation, requiring earlier castration.  Or it may be that the timing is
related to how the flock is being raised (say controlled versus open
pasturage).  Or, possibly, just the owner's whim.  Without a better
knowledge of Medieval or Renaissance practices versus modern practices, all
is speculation, unless we stumble over the answer in an animal husbandry
text.

Bear