[Sca-cooks] aging meat

Carole Smith renaissancespirit2 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 29 15:45:39 PDT 2006

My American mother married an Englishman in 1939 and lived over there for 5 years, mostly with her inlaws, because it was wartime.  She never cared for hung meat, but perhaps it was hung longer in those days.

  Cordelia Toser

Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
  Cordelia asked:
> I've always wondered - do they hang it in a refrigerated place?

Yes, they do. Freezing it would pretty much stop all the aging, I
believe. I didn't know much about meat aging until it was discussed
on this list. And, the aging of meat is period. But not having
mechanical cooling it would have been more difficult.

meat-aging-msg (20K) 9/ 4/01 The aging of meat to tenderize it
in period
and today.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/meat-aging-msg.html

Stefan

> Devra at aol.com wrote:
> When we were at the Oxford Symposium this month, they had a banquet
> at which they served mutton, 2 yrs old. It was also hung for 5
> weeks, rather
> than 2. They had a gentleman from 'The Mutton Renaissance' (no
> cracks please) to
> talk about the meat, and how promoting mutton is one of Prince
> Charles'
> projects. The meat was delicious.
> Devra

--------