[Sca-cooks] aging meat

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Apr 29 19:00:21 PDT 2006

A lot depends on the hanging conditions and the quality of the carcass.
Proper aging requires near freezing temperature, proper humidity and
constant air flow.  Depending on the size of the carcass and the quality of
the meat (and its fat layer) a commercial processor can age meat up to about
six weeks.  The less mass the shorter the time.

Outside of a commercial environment meat can be hung below 50 degrees F
without special equipment for around 2 to 10 days.  This tenderizes the
meat, but often makes the taste gamier.  Given England and wartime, I would
place my money on farm butchered and hung meat without quality commercial
processing (commercial aging is expensive).

Bear