[Sca-cooks] aging meat

Carole Smith renaissancespirit2 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 30 11:50:29 PDT 2006

I'm pretty sure that this was not commercially hung meat, partly because Mom said it was really gamey to the point she didn't eat much of it.  Everybody else seemed to think it was delicious that way.  Of course they had rationing because of the war, and meat was one of the major things rationed.

  Even at late as 1952 in England they were still rationing meat (personal experience).  You didn't get very big pieces of meat for meals.

  Cordelia Toser

Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
  A lot depends on the hanging conditions and the quality of the carcass.
<snip>.

Outside of a commercial environment meat can be hung below 50 degrees F
without special equipment for around 2 to 10 days. This tenderizes the
meat, but often makes the taste gamier. Given England and wartime, I would
place my money on farm butchered and hung meat without quality commercial
processing (commercial aging is expensive).

Bear