[Sca-cooks] Re: Mysost/Gjetost (cheese)

otsisto otsisto at socket.net
Sun Apr 30 23:00:11 PDT 2006

I wish to disagree. I may not know much of a lot of cheeses but I do know
that Gjetost is traditionally whole goat's milk, boiled to caramelize the
milk sugars.
Mysost is made from cow's milk whey.
Gomost is not the same and if I remember correctly is almost like a Gouda in
taste (been years) and is made of cow's milk and sometimes on a rare
occasion goat's milk.
Okay, I just read from Wikipedia which I take with a grain of salt.
Presently, Gjetost is being  identified as goat milk whey cheese and the
whole goat milk cheese is being called ekte geitost (real goat cheese).
My info comes from American Norwegian Lutherans from years back. :)
Lyse