[Sca-cooks] Cooking contest

Karin Burgess avrealtor at prodigy.net
Tue Aug 1 11:11:46 PDT 2006

Here in Caid, a shire holds an Iron Chef contest every year .  This year, at my suggestions, they will be staggering the start and stop times (and Selene's idea of keeping the "secret" ingredients hidden)  This at least helps a bit with the serving and presentations. The 2 times I entered, I was 2nd (there are only 2 entries) and though I did win, I was unhappy that things weren't as hot/cold or as crisp I would have liked

  -Muiriath

Anne-Marie Rousseau <dailleurs at liripipe.com> wrote:
  hey all from Anne-Marie
hmmm. I'm a laurel who cooks. I'm also a pelican who cooks ;). I have entered
competitions and done fairly well with my food stuff (including a couple research
papers, one of which became a CA on French food in the Renaissance). I have cooked
feasts, written cookbooks, taught a jillion classes on all kinds of stuff, catered
parties in the SCA and in the real world...

part of the issue is that food is transitory. it is a very unique site which will
allow cooking to happen at it, and the kitchen facilities are often taken up by the
events dinner plans.

if you do manage to finagle some sort of kitchen arrangement (and I've done
everything from a campstove to a firebox in the parking lot ;)), then there's the
matter of timing. for many food entries, for them to be presented at their best,
you need to know WHEN you will be judged. in my experience A/S events are often
ahem fluid? in scheduling ;). I know when I entered my pastez en pot (lamb stew
from le Menagier), I ended up being judged three hours late. Fortunately I had
planned for this, and had the stew sitting happily in a crock pot so that I could
dish up at a moments notice.

unlike a costume or a sonnet or a sword, food doesnt do so well with sitting around
until the judges get to you.

also, food tends to be more subjective. you can look at documentation, application
of technique, etc but when it comes down to it, does it taste good? and if, for
example, the entry is that pear and anise stew from the german source, I wouldnt
even be able to smell it (ugh. anise.) and so wouldnt be able to grade it very well
if I was judging it. the fit of a costume? that is objective. it fits, or it
doesnt. the balance of a sword, the layout of a scroll, etc. are judged very
differently.

does that make sense?

--ANne-Marie, who tends towards art forms that are difficult to squish into your
standard A/S competition format. like food. or horses ;)