[Sca-cooks] OT collecting disability - VENT

ysabeau ysabeau at mail.ev1.net
Thu Aug 3 07:09:11 PDT 2006

Without trying to start a war...I have to agree to an extent with
Niccolo. Just from recent personal experience...I'm wondering
about the disability program in the U.S. My ex recently took me to
court to try to reduce the amount of child support he is NOT
paying. He owes me over $18k in back child support. While we were
married he had no problem getting and keeping full-time, well-
paying jobs. Once there was a child support order, he hasn't been
able to keep a job. The judge read him the riot act, told him to
get off his lazy ass and get a job (but more politely) and RAISED
the child support by $150 for cost of living and arrears. Two days
later he mysteriously falls through a glass window and calls me to
tell me he won't be able to work any more (not that he was) and is
trying to get disability because he severed a tendon and nerves in
his right arm and has lost his ability to use his right hand (he's
left handed). It makes me want to scream. I have a magnet on my
refrigerator of a woman holding a shotgun and the saying "It is
easier to collect life insurance than child support". At least if
he gets disability, I will start getting child support...I think.

So anyway, I understand that disability is there for a reason but
I've also seen it abused...While I appreciate the issues you have
gone through and sympathize, I also hope that it means that the
reviewers are being overly conservative in approving in order to
weed out those who are not truly disabled and are looking for a
free ride.

Ysabeau