[Sca-cooks] artificial sweeteners, was sugar problems

Kirsten Houseknecht kirsten at fabricdragon.com
Thu Aug 3 09:41:48 PDT 2006

ok, most of this is my opinion. and while i can point to research for most
of it, in the end, its opinion... ok?

    Aspartame, sold under the trade name  of Nutrasweet.
This is a supposedly safe substance at room temperature, which breaks down
into *known* poisons when heated above  (supposedly) 150 F.  While it may be
safe for some folks if it is not heated, I do not trust any "food" which
becomes poisonous at simple cooking temperatures!  (loses its sweeteness?
fine.... becomes poison? not fine).  Please note the 150 (or 180 depending
on sources) number is for complete breakdown.  there is a good bit of
evidence that you get partial breakdown at anything over about 85 degrees.
Many people have allergic reactions to this substance at any temperature.
It is a known Asthma trigger in a large number of Asthmatics.  It is a known
migraine trigger in many migraine sufferers.

    Sucralose, sold under the trade name Splenda.
produced by adding a Chlorine  into the chemical structure of Sucrose, this
makes it several hundred times sweeter to taste than plain sugar.  Well
tolerated by many people, it has its detractors.  One of the big sticking
points is the addition of a Chlorine to the mix, which many people feel is
highly suspect.  It has been linked to several of the same "addictive"
problems as *any* artificial swetener.  Rarely found alone, it is used in
combination with many other sweeteners, such as Maltitol, and Acesulfame K.
It can be difficult to determine which additive a person is reacting to.

Acesulfame Potassium, sold under the trade name Diabetasweet, also labeled
as Acesulfame K or Ace K.
    Often used in cooked goods, prior to Splenda, and now often combined
with Splenda, due to the additive properties of artificial sweeteners. (2+2
equals about 6 with the use of multiple artificial sweeteners). This is well
tolerated by most people, and bakes very well.  Some folks who have
potassium or sulfur problems have reacted to this, however.  Generally one
of the safest of the artificial sweeteners.  Often mistaken to be a relative
of Aspartame, which it is NOT.

Sacharine (Sodium Sacharine)
    Sacharine is actually well tolerated by a large number of people.  It
does not taste like sugar in the slightest.  Doesnt cook or bake well.  This
substance has been linked to various helath problems when over consumed, but
is generally considered safe in moderation.  Has proven to be a problem for
some people watching their salt intake, and can spike blood pressure in a
small number of salt sensitive people.

These are the main artificial sweeteners i am familiar with.  Please note
the following...
*I* personally eat Splenda.  I will also use Acesulfame K in baking.  I hate
the taste of sacharine to the point of gagging, and will not touch
Aspartame... ever.
Personally, i know too much about the temperatures your diet soda reaches in
the delivery truck to ever trust it.  Also it causes  my husband severe
migraines.

ANY artificial sweeteners are reacted to by someone.  That someone is
probably in the SCA.  All artificial sweeteners can be addictive to some
people, owing to the higher than natural stimulation levels that they
create.  Some people feel they are all dangerous because of that alone.  I
disagree in my own case, however the individual must determine this for
themselves.

please note: If you react to MonoSodium Glutamate, there is a very high
chance you will react to Aspartame.  No i have no idea why.
Kirsten Houseknecht
Fabric Dragon
kirsten at fabricdragon.com
www.fabricdragon.com
http://fabricdragon.livejournal.com/

Philadelphia, PA     USA
Trims, Amber, Jet, Jewelry, and more...

Before you leave the house: hat, water, medication if needed