[Sca-cooks] artificial sweeteners, was sugar problems

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Thu Aug 3 09:58:48 PDT 2006

At 09:41 AM 8/3/2006, you wrote:

>Acesulfame Potassium, sold under the trade name Diabetasweet, also labeled
>as Acesulfame K or Ace K.
>     Often used in cooked goods, prior to Splenda, and now often combined
>with Splenda, due to the additive properties of artificial sweeteners. (2+2
>equals about 6 with the use of multiple artificial sweeteners). This is well
>tolerated by most people, and bakes very well.  Some folks who have
>potassium or sulfur problems have reacted to this, however.  Generally one
>of the safest of the artificial sweeteners.  Often mistaken to be a relative
>of Aspartame, which it is NOT.

Ace-K tastes bitter to me- my Dr says it's the high potassium, which makes
sense, since salt substitutes (usually potassium salts) also taste ghastly.

I'm pretty much stuck with real sugar, since I don't like the taste of
Ace-K, or saccharine, I can taste the chlorine in Splenda and don't like it
either. Aspartame is right out- triggers migraines. I'm also trying to
avoid HFCS, which is harder than you'd think. So I get to eat Real Food
(TM) rather than processed stuff. Probably better for me in the long run.

Has anyone popped into the archives? I seem to remember that Avraham posted
some good stuff about HFCS a year or so ago. Might be worth looking at...

'Lainie