[Sca-cooks] A message for the silly season....

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Fri Aug 4 06:39:33 PDT 2006

This is my contribution.  Okay, so it's not *from* me, I'm not the original
author, but I am completely responsible for forwarding it! It's from the
aotc yahoo list.
--Maire

2b. Re: ACK! Potted meat - is it period?
Posted by: "Daniel Myers" eduard at medievalcookery.com   edouard_halidai
Thu Aug 3, 2006 3:22 pm (PST)
On Aug 3, 2006, at 10:54 AM, Broom wrote:
> Spamme tartletes for a flesshe dai, anyone?

Oh, that's one of my favorites!

"Tartlettes of Spamme. Take the Spamme out from the canne, other
other poted product of mete, then seethe it and grynde it small with
safroun, medle it with ayrenn and poummes de terre kerved small as
dise and onyoneys ymyed. Make a foile of dowhz and put it in a trap,
then put the fars therinne, and put thereto velvet chese also kerved
as dise other chese from a canne. And cover the tartlettes and put
hem in a hote ovn for a gode houre. Then take hem from the oven and
messe the tartletes in disshes wyth the fryd skyn of a pygge & serue
forth. [Source: Boke of Swylling, 14th c. England]"

- Doc