[Sca-cooks] decadence

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Aug 5 22:23:06 PDT 2006

Argh. I forgot to mention in my last message to 'Lainie one of the
stories in my decadence-msg which is one of my favorites.

<<< From: Andrew Tye <atye at efn.org>
Newsgroups: rec.org.sca
Subject: Hot Tubs was Re: Caidan Camping
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 17:56:39 -0800

On 23 Feb 1997, NatalyaDeF wrote:

 >       "A Turkish bath, called in Scythian _tzerga_, with a hide
 >       cistern of red leather; 12 three-measure pitchers; 12 grates
 >       for the bath (pp 105-7)<see note>"
 >
 > Ah ha!  Just as I suspected!  For all of the criticisms we Caidans
take
 > for being not authentic enough, it is obvious that we are actually
on the
 > cutting edge of historical research about this whole hot tub
thing.....

 > Natalya

Ivar here,

About 10 years ago or so I remember a household from the Barony of
Allyshia, (Humboldt Cty., CA) that showed up at an Egil's Tourney in An
Tir, and at a Purgatorio in the West with an early-60s Lincoln, (or some
other piece of big Detroit Iron), towing a trailer that had a large
wooden
hot tub on it.  They would dismount the tub, fill it with water, and
then
disconnect the radiator on the Lincoln and run a pair of hoses from the
engine and water pump to the hot tub.  It would take about 3-4 hours of
the engine at idle to bring the tub up to temperature.  (The tub held
about 16)  I hope they were not using anti-freeze.  For myself, I'll
stick
to the wood-fired baths at Clinton War.

Ivar Hakonarson
Adiantum, An Tir. >>>