[Sca-cooks] children/add and adhd was: candy and hostages

Lisa silvina at allegiance.tv
Sun Aug 6 14:47:18 PDT 2006

I agree that there are valid diagnoses of ADHD, my gripe is with those
teachers (well mostly teachers) who want a room full of sweet, nice, carbon
copy students and therefore push the parents to get an ADHD diagnosis and
get them medicated.

Most adult diagnoses of ADHD have suffered the same frustration as you,
going through a gamut of different complaints and diagnoses before someone
finally hits on the true problem.  My concern is the immediate reliance on
medications when there are other options such as behavior modification in
minor cases.  I have personal issue in this because my of my son who is
mildly ADHD.  He has had a heart problem since birth, but it was not caught
until a few years ago.  Well, I say it wasn't caught, every one of his
pediatricians blew it off as a "mild heart murmur" until we finally got a
pediatric cardiologist involved.  Unfortunately, we have since found out
that many of his ADHD medications that he had been on may have made his
heart problems worse.  If you read the information that they give you with
your medications, most of the ADHD medications specify to let your physician
know if you have a heart condition becase of the side effects.

Elizabeta