[Sca-cooks] How long do whole spices last??

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 7 10:40:55 PDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
< < < < I think it would depend on what part of the plant the spices came
from.
Leaves are very delicate and gradually lose potency after about a year.
Ground spices last about as long. Berries like whole cloves, juniper and
pepper keep longer. I think the long pepper if whole would keep about
indefinitely. . . . . SNIP > > > > > >

there is a very definite difference between SPICE and HERB.  That latter
tends to be leafy parts of plants, while spice is most often the bark, seed,
berry, pod or other rather dense portion.  Exceptions do very certainly
exist.

niccolo difrancesco