[Sca-cooks] Caffeine : people/ADD and ADHD

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Aug 7 19:34:15 PDT 2006

On Aug 7, 2006, at 9:50 PM, Elaine Koogler wrote:

> otsisto wrote:
>> I get my caffeine in the form of chocolate. :) I knew that in the
>> average
>> person that an over consumption of caffeine worked in reverse but
>> I never
>> connected it to why I felt sleepy after having tea or lots of
>> chocolate
>> (sorry, hate the taste of coffee)
>> Speaking of chocolate, someone gave me this recipe. and I was
>> wondering if
>> someone has made this and how easy is it to make? It looks simple
>> enough.
>>
>> Marquise au Chocolat
>> 6 oz. semisweet chocolate chopped
>> 4 tbsp butter, softened
>> 4 lg eggs, separated
>> 2 tbsp rum, brandy or liquor (opt)
>> dash of cream of tartar
>>
>> Sauce
>> 2 1/2 cps cream or whole milk
>> 9 egg yolks
>> 1/4 cp baker's sugar
>> 1 tsp vanilla extract (or one vanilla bean)
>> 1 tbsp instant coffee powder, dissolved in 2 tbsp hot water.
>>
>> Line a loaf pan with plastic wrap, making it smooth.
>>
>> Melt chocolate by placing in a bowl and setting it over hot water or
>> microwave it. Once melted, add butter. Add one at a time the egg
>> yolks. Add
>> the rum, brandy or liquor at this time if using.
>> In a separate bowl, beat slowly the egg whites till frothy. Add
>> cream of
>> tartar, beat egg whites till soft peaks form. Stir into the chocolate
>> mixture one third of the egg whites, then fold in the rest. Pour
>> into the
>> loaf pan, smooth the top and cover with plastic wrap, then freeze.
>> Slice
>> with unflavored dental floss.
>>
>> Sauce
>> Simmer milk/cream over medium heat (add vanilla bean, if using).
>> Whisk eggs
>> and sugar until thick and smooth. (remove vanilla bean, if using)
>> Gradually
>> whisk the egg mixture into the hot milk. Lower the heat and stir till
>> thickened. Strain custard into a cool bowl. Stir in vanilla (if
>> not using
>> the VB)and coffee. Set aside to cool, stirring occasionally, then
>> refrigerate.
>>
>> Invert loaf pan. Remove plastic wrap. slice with unflavored dental
>> floss or
>> thin wire. Serve sauce over the slices.
>>
>> (Since I don't like coffee I was thinking raspberry sauce)
>>

> Sounds wonderful...a lot like a frozen mousse with a sauce.  While I
> adore chocolate and coffee flavors together, I am also REALLY fond of
> chocolate and raspberry!  So I suspect either would work nicely.
> I'd be
> curious to see if it'd work with splenda rather than sugar.  I do
> Selene's Dread Chocolate Mousse with splenda and it works
> perfectly, so
> I suspect it'd work here...which means that it would move from the
> [...]

You might experiment a little with polydextrose from someplace like
Honeyville Grain (who knows, maybe the King Arthur people sell it).
Used in combination with things like Splenda, it does much of the
textural stuff that sugar does, and Splenda (even Splenda in a
maltodextrin substrate) doesn't. It can be used to make syrups,
tenderize doughs, bulk out and render crystallization-resistant
things like ice creams and gelatos. It provides very little
sweetening on its own, hence the partnership with other sweeteners,
and has very little useable carbohydrate content, but it can help do
some of the cooking and baking that doesn't _quite_ work without sugar.

Adamantius