[Sca-cooks] a Well-Dressed Peacock and a Golden Calf (was on topic: Healthy Feasts)

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 8 09:09:48 PDT 2006

Elaine Koogler wrote:

>Like others, I didn't respond because I thought it was some really cool
>information you were sharing with us.  You do that so often, bless you heart!!

I do it because it's fun; because I find something that excites me, and
I want others to share my excitement.  I know that the "silent nod" is
common on email lists, and I often do it myself.  But it adds to the
satisfaction to have someone else say, "Yes, this is cool, this is
interesting".  Like completing an electrical circuit.

>It does sound like a really theatrical presentation, but then
>those folks from around the Mediterranean often really liked to show
>off.  Do you suppose it might have its root in Roman foodways?  It
>sounds like something that would be presented at a Saturnalia feast!
>
>Kiri

Perhaps, but the more direct influence is likely to be Moorish.  The
Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook has a couple of recipes for roast beasts
stuffed with birds.  There is no gold mentioned, and the beasts are
roasted in an oven *after* being stuffed, but the basic concept is there.
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Andalusian/andalusian1.htm#Heading25

It would certainly be possible at a SCA event with the right facilities
to do a smaller version of this -- say, an ungilded lamb stuffed with
quail or squab.  I think that I'd prefer Villena's method of stuffing
the cooked birds into an already-roasted lamb.

Brighid, who ought to be cleaning, sewing, and packing

--

Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
Robin Carroll-Mann *** rcmann4 at earthlink.net