[Sca-cooks] menu planning for dietary restrictions...was Re: Lamb with Roasted Apples and Onions

Anne-Marie Rousseau dailleurs at liripipe.com
Fri Aug 11 12:49:30 PDT 2006

hi Duriel et al from Anne-Marie

I guess my point is, instead of making a period recipe (ie one that adheres
strictly to the list of ingredients provided in the original medieval source) into
a non period one (with the addition of food substitutes, fake sugars, etc) it is my
personal choice to provide options that people who are trying to watch their
fat/salt/sugar intake can choose.

I disagree strongly that dishes that dont contain added fat or salt or sugar need
be bland or distasteful. some of my favorite recipes dont use any animal fats at
all! dont get me wrong, I like butter as much as the next person (it being my
heritage and all ;)) but I am also aware that my audience may not. Sauces are
servied on the side so that those who dont want Sauce Robert on their roast (hey,
there are some out there, I hear...) can choose the home made mustard instead.

lastly, for that yummy heart stopping lamb stew dish to really shine? teh best
foils are simple clean flavors that can allow it to stand out. So I plan my side
dishes accordingly.

between low carb, no sugar, no nitrates, vegan, lacto ovo vegetarians, "nothing
that has a mother" vegetarians, low fat, no fat, no trans fat, low sodium and all
the other permutations out there? by offering an array I'm the most likely to
provide everyone with SOMETHING they can eat guilt free, even if they cant eat the
whole thing.

Sorry, but I dont buy that I need to not serve X for fear that some poor weakwilled
soul will indulge more than they should. that's not my job. and why is somoenes
problem with animal fats any more important than someone elses nut allergy, or
someone elses aversion to cinnamon? I produce a well rounded, well balanced meal
from recipes that I have reconstructed outo f medieval manuscripts. I make the menu
and the ingredients avilable beforehand (sorry, there is NO cheating or last minute
subs in my kitchen. being one of those folks with allergies, I'm really a stickler
about that...as is everyone else in our guild. we're lucky that way, I guess...).
Diners can choose to come and partake, or not. and in my experience, even the folks
who have a list as long as your arm of what they cant have usually walk away very
happy.

again, each kitchen and each kitchen head will approach this differently (and vive
la difference!) but around here at least, the responsibility falls on both sides of
the blast doors....

--Anne-Marie