[Sca-cooks] menu planning for dietary restrictions

Tom Vincent Tom.Vincent at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 11 15:48:42 PDT 2006

I understand.  I don't think I'd ever want to encourage non-period
substitutes unless I felt the benefit outweighed (pun intended) the
change in flavor...which should be negligible in all cases.  A sugar
substitute brings up a lot of additional baggage, for example, and would
certainly alter the flavor of a dish that depended on the sugar for
significant flavor.

I'm looking more at the benefit of reducing unnecessary oils, those
'stealth calorie' sources, rather than any integral ingredients.

I never claimed that low-fat, low-salt, low-sugar dishes are bland or
distasteful (seems to be a small epidemic of folks putting words in my
posts).  Quite the contrary:  I believe that those ingredients are not
necessary to make a dish tasty, yummy or delicious.

Of course, none of the terms in those two sentences are objectively
measurable, so it'll always come down to the opinion of the feast
attendees.  They always seem appreciative of just about everything
that's served to them (other than those horrid feasts a few people
described a couple of months ago), so why not serve a healthy tasty dish
instead of an unhealthy one?

Here's a real-life example:  A while ago, I was helping out with a
feast.  One of the dishes I was preparing was chicken cutlets breaded
and fried, then baked with onions sauteed in wine (a decent bulk
burgundy, as I recall) & oil, then topped with shredded cheese (and not
a particularly flavorful cheese, mind you).  Now, my thought was:  Why
use a lot of oil frying the cutlets *and* frying the onions when the
wine was going to provide the major flavor source?  We could have baked
the cutlets in wine, sauteed the onions in wine, then topped the chicken
with the onions and cheese for the final baking cycle.  There were, as I
recall, no herbs or spices added to the dish.  Now, wouldn't a few
seasonings more than offset the reduced use of oil?  Even without the
extra oil -or- seasonings, the flavor combination of chicken, onion and
wine could have stood alone.  Just a few thoughts.

Duriel