[Sca-cooks] menu planning for dietary restrictions...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Aug 11 14:32:40 PDT 2006

On Aug 11, 2006, at 4:59 PM, Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:

> Durien sez:
>> 'Balancing' out an oily, tasty dish with non-oily side dishes
>> sounds alot like
> drinking a diet soda with a banana split. :)
>
> thats funny, I see it as "not overloading the palate so you can
> really really enjoy
> that banana split". which I would serve not with a diet soda but
> with a glass of
> crisp white wine so you have a nice sour/sweet counterpoint.
>
> same way I'd serve a crisp green salad alongside that raclette or
> fondue dinner.
>
> different philosophies, I guess :)

Apparently. One person's "maximum options for maximum, sensible
enjoyment by a maximum number of people at minimal sacrifice of
dignity" could be viewed as another person's "enabling the addictive
personality", I guess.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that diet soda simply should not
exist, but since it does, alongside things like light wines, mineral
water, seltzer, and suchlike drinks, it should be noted that its
purpose is not to somehow erase the calories that a sensible person
has ingested in the form of some quantity of a banana split. Its
purpose is not to add to them, and perhaps make a small amount of
something sweet seem like more.

Adamantius