[Sca-cooks] OOP: NY Times article on State Fair foodcompetitions

ysabeau ysabeau at mail.ev1.net
Wed Aug 16 06:33:09 PDT 2006

Way back when I was in high school (1982), I moved to a tiny South
Texas town (from Singapore of all places!). I took Home Ec because
it was one of few electives offered. One of the class requirements
was that we had to enter something in the county fair home ec
competition. I half-heartedly made up a couple of loaves of Dilly
Bread (batter bread made with cottage cheese and dill IIRC) and
entered it. When it came time to check out who won, I wandered all
over and couldn't find my entry...because it had been put in a
place of honor - I'd won grand champion something or other! What
was interesting was reading the judges comments...one said the
crust was too dark, another said it was too light, one said it
needed more dill, another said too much dill.

It was my one and only time to do something like that (I don't do
A&S events) and it just confirmed my belief that you can't please
everyone...and opinions are just that. I do what I do to please
myself and my friends. What was even funnier was that my good
friend had been entering for years because she grew up there and
never won anything...and I just popped into town and threw
something out there and won. I don't think she ever quite forgave
me for that. I truly think I won because I made something a bit
different...instead of just the same old, same old and they didn't
know what to do with it. All of the other entries seemed to be
variations on a theme - tons of pumpkin bread, banana bread, etc.
Mine was the only one that was "out of the box" but it was
something I'd been making for years.

Ysabeau