[Sca-cooks] OOP: NY Times article on State Fair food competitions

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 16 16:42:22 PDT 2006

I have read this article three times and can't find any mantion of this.  I did find
a statement about how all the women who really know how to can are all gone.  I find
this to be somewhat true, but not entirely.  My mother learned how to can from her
mother and I learned how to can from my mother.  I haven't done it lately, since my
mother's stroke, because canning is a lot of work. To can and to take care of an
invalid mother is too much for me.  But as I grew up, I have very vivid memories of
Mom canning apricots, peaches, plums, pears, cherries, nectarines and apples.  She
would do the brunt of the labor, but I, as a child, would be her helper.  As I got
older, the labor got shared.  But as the price of fruit got higher, what we canned
became more selective.  Eventually, we only canned what we grew, which was apricots
and peaches.  As Mom got older, the brunt of the labor shifted to me, with Mom being
the helper and advisor.  The last batch we did together, we started after dinner, as I
was working full time.  We would can about 14 quarts in one evening.  During the
growing season, we would can eventually 56 to 70 quarts.  The fruits that were too
soft for canning would either get used for jams or pies.

While I think that canning as a skill is dying out, there are still people who know
how to do so.  I recall there being several others on this list who can can.

As for pickled peaches, I know how to pickle peaches and apricots.  They are a delicate
fruit and you shouldn't boil their flesh in the pickling mixture on the stove.  What I do
is clean the fruit and get them into the containers.  I then boil up my pickling mixture
and pore it over the fruit, letting the hot pickle cook the fruit and pickle it at the
same time.  I don't can them, because double boiling will mush the fruit up.  Also, my
pickled fruit is so popular, they get eaten up so fast that it isn't worth canning them.

Huette