[Sca-cooks] feast organization/service question

Stephanie Ross hlaislinn at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 18 07:44:31 PDT 2006

I have a question (several actually) about feast service. Do you folks use
a hall steward in your Kingdoms to set up the hall and decorate it? Is this
person seperate from the one who organizes the servers? Is there a seperate
person who puts the food into serving dishes (the co-feastcrat perhaps)?
When I cook I like to stagger the courses so that everything comes out hot.
That means I am still busy cooking and can't do the food presentation part
myself. I like to have a seperate person than the hall steward be my
"server organizer" because by the time feast rolls around, my hall steward
is exhausted from all the hall duties and it makes for a much longer day
for them. Plus we always camp here in my kingdom, so the hall steward works
Friday night too. Which means that running the hall for me takes four
people - me as feastcrat, food plater, server organizer and hall steward.
How does it work in your Kingdoms? Anybody have another term for "server
organizer" that is more period yet still describes what the job entails?

~Aislinn~
Et si omnes ego non.

"The care of human life and happiness and not their destruction is the
first and only legitimate object of good government." --Thomas Jefferson to
Maryland Republicans, 1809.