[Sca-cooks] Job Titles was feast organization/service question

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Aug 18 07:55:27 PDT 2006

Stephanie Ross wrote: Anybody have another term for "server
> organizer" that is more period yet still describes what the job entails?
> ~Aislinn~
MK Cooks had a discussion on this topic two winters ago so I did the
research then and posted
it all to SCA Cooks on 2005-- This applies to at least the English aspects.

My article on Randle Holmes will be appearing in the next issue of TI,
so that will explain who
he is.

Johnnae llyn Lewis

January 12, 2005

Peter Brears goes into the functions in All the King's Cooks and
somewhat again in
the reprinted edition of The Boke of Keruynge. [the Book of Carving.]
which he edited.

So one has the kitchen, buttery, cellar, poultry, scullery, woodyard,
pastry, saucery, clerk of the spicery, chandlery, confectionary, ewery,
wafery,
and laundry.

It occurs to me that the best place to look would be in Randle Holme's
The
Academy of Armoury
or, A storehouse of armory and blazon containing the several variety of
created beings, and how born in coats of arms, both foreign and
domestick : with the instruments used in all trades and sciences,
together with their their terms of art : also the etymologies,
definitions, and historical observations on the same, explicated and
explained according to our modern language : very usefel [sic] for all
gentlemen, scholars, divines, and all such as desire any knowledge in
arts and sciences / by Randle Holme   ...
of 1688
which lists things like professions as well as that delightful list
of what comprises a proper Jacobean banquet.
Doing a search on butler and cook pulls up entries like this on Full
text EEBO.

So in the lists: for instance at the Coronation of Richard III the
following people were
present at the feast:

The Crowning of King Richard the third, Anno 1483.

The Order of the Feast was thus in short, at the head of the Table the
King is Seated by Himself at the lower, end of the same Table, are
placed the Embassadors of diverse Princes. Before the King stood the
Carver, Sewer, Cup-bearer, with a great number of Gentlemen-waiters,
Attending his Person; the Ushers making place to strangers that come to
behold his Person.

At the side Table on the right hand near adjoyning to the King, are
placed the Lord Chancellor, Chamberlain, Keeper of the Great Seal,
Steward, Treasurer; being the five Great Peers of the Kingdom, with
diverse other Ho|norable Persons.

At the side Table on the left hand, are placed the Lord Mayor and
Aldermen, the Treasurer of the Houshold, Secretaries of State, Serjeant
at Law, Master of the Re|vels, Kings at Arms, and the Dean of the Chappel.

At another Table at the other side are set the new made Knights of the
Bath and others, the Master of the Game, chief Ranger, Masters of the
Houshold, Clarks of the Green Cloath, and Exchequer: with strangers to
furnish it.

At another Table over against it, are placed the Knights and Gentlemen
of the Kings House, Lieutenant of the Tower, with diverse Captains and
Commanders, both of Foot and Horse.

At a Table at the lower end of the Hall, are set the Butler, the
Panther, Clarks of the Kitchin, and diverse o|thers of the Kings House,
furnished throughout with the Kings Guard, and at every course or mess,
the Trumpets with other Musick, are to sound.

But to lay a side the formality of the Kings and Queens passage from the
Pallace to the Abby (being a part of Marshalling, or Triumphal
Progressions) is more proper for another place, the which I shall have
occasion hear|after to treat off, in lib. 4. chap. 11.

-------------------
For another feast , it is listed it this way:

The Officers of the said Feast
         The Earl of Warwick Steward.
         The Earl of Bedford Treasurer. ·       The Lord Hastings
Controller.
        The Lord Willoughby Carver.·        Sir Iohn Buckingham
Cup-Bearer. <>·       Sir Richard Strangways Sewer.·        Sir Walter
Morley Chief Marshal of the Hall, with eight other Knights Marshals,
besides Esquires and Grooms.
      Sir Iohn Malvery Panter.
      Serjeant of the Kings Ewry, the Ewer.
        Iohn Graystock and Iohn Nevill, Keepers of the Cubbord.
       Iohn Braynock Surveyor through the Hall.

--------------------
The common Servants to each Hall or Colledge in the University are
these; the Porter, Scrape Trencher, Cook and his under Servants, Butler,
Gardener, Brew|er, Baker, Sweepers of the Hall, Bed-makers and
Chamberlains, &c.

-----------------

Officers of State and Domestical belong|ing to the Earl of Chester, with
their Fees.
his officers include:
<>Houshold Servants, as Controller;  Steward of the House; Chamberlain;
Vice Chamberlain, or Sub Chamberlain;  Keeper of the Wardrobe; Gentlemen
of his Chamber;  Master of his Horse; Groom of the Stable; Pages;
Captain of his Guard; Almoner, or giver to the Poor; Chaplain 2 0 0;
Master of the Hospital 4 11 0; Pentions in Alms of the said Earldom of
old 61 6 0; Porter. Janitor. Door Keeper 6 1 8; Cook and Scullions;
Caterer. Purveyer; Butler. Brewer. Baker. Milner. Huntsman.
Fisher.Falconer. Fowler. Gardiner 4 11 3;Artificers several ; Carpenter
9 12 6; Mason 8 12 6; Plummer;Surveyor of the Works 6 1 8.

------------------

      Officers in a Monastery.

The Abbot.

  * The Prior, three in Number.
  * The Dean.
  * The Priest or Deacon.
  * The Steward.
  * The Confessor.
  * The Overseer of the Church.
  * The Sexton to keep the Church clean.
  * The Library Keeper.
  * The Reader chosen Weekly to Read all the time of the Refection.
  * The Provost, or Praepositus.
  * The Porter.
  * The Admonitor.
  * The Sacrist or Keeper of the Vestments, or Sub|prior.
  * The Visiter of the Sick; or Overseer of the Sick.
  * The Almoner, or giver of Alms.
  * The Butler, Sellar keeper, or under Butler, or Drawer.
  * The Cooks in number three, Overseers of the Kitchin.
  * The Refector, or Usher of the Dining Room.
  * The Controller.
  * The Monks or Friers to such a Number.
  * The Brewer.
  * The Baker.
  * The Miller.
  * The Keeper of the Wardrobe.
  * The Instructor, or Mr. of the Novices.
  * The Skullion of the Kitchin to make Fires, and wash Dishes, three
    in number.
  * The Oversee (gap: 1 letter) of the Works.
  * The Chamberlain to see the Chambers kept clean.
  * The Careter, o (gap: 1 letter) Purveyer: that buyeth and provides
    Meat.
  * The Novices or Schollars, such as lately come into the Abby.
  * The Coajutor, or fellow helpor either in Spiritual, or Temporal
    things.

I especially like his

      Observations of Husbandmen.

The way to Thrive, is to get a good Housewifely and careful Wife.

Careful Husbands are at Labour when others Sleep, and spend according to
their getting and income.

It is a Blessing to have a good Land-lord, for under a bad, a Man shall
never thrive.

In Bargains of Buying and Selling be careful and wise.

Unthriftiness, Slothfulness, Carelesness and Rashness in Business, are 4
Beggars that must be Lasht from the Door.

The Officers of a good Husbands House, is Mo|ney the Drudge, Work the
Servant, Wisdom the Controller, good Order the Clark, Provision the
Ca|terer, Skill the Cook, and Steward of all is Pen, Ink and a Book,
Hunger the Physician, Thirst the Butler, the Masters Eye the Usher, and
Bolt and Lock the Porter, Husbandry the Bayliff to provide a|broad, and
Housewifery the Master and Mistress to guide all daily at Home.

So here we have it--- men will not profit without a good and careful wife.

Johnnae llyn Lewis

Later then in February I posted this link---
We were discussing the set-up of the household servants
earlier in the winter of 04-05.
Came across this document online in February 2005--
The Royal Household and Wardrobe Before 1660 Domestic Records
Information 26 contains
a handy chart for the royal household.
http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=91

Johnnae llyn Lewis