[Sca-cooks] Period Jewish Recipes

Sharon R. Saroff sindara at pobox.com
Mon Aug 21 20:11:57 PDT 2006

I have documented some recipes by going to jewish scholarly texts which
note ingredients of certain traditional foods.  For instance,  I have 10
descriptions for charoset from such individuals as Maimonides and the
Sa'adya Goan.  I do refer A drizzle of Honey, but there are a couple of
others that I refer to once I have read the actual rabbinical
references.  Here is a brief list of books that I use:

In Search of Plenty by Oded Schwartz
World of Jewish Cooking by Gil Marks
The Jewish Kitchen by Alena Krekulova & Jana Dolezalova
The Sephardic Holiday Cookbook by Gilda Angel
The Book of Jewish Food by Claudia Roden

I use these books because they provide some historical background on the
recipes.  They do not note how old the recipes are.  I do know that at
least the first 2 books are written by individuals who are Jewish food
historians. A good book for information of types of foods traditionally
eaten on various holidays is The Jewish Festivals by Hayyim Schaus.

Hope this helps,

Sindara