[Sca-cooks] Cubebs

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Fri Aug 25 20:55:25 PDT 2006

Am Samstag, 26. August 2006 03:50 schrieb Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius:

> Duke's Powder is a phrase used in somebody's (Powers'?) translation
> of Le Menagier, in a translated hippocras recipe. As I recall, it
> refers to the weighed-out spice mixture being mixed with a specific
> amount of sugar and then with wine to make the hippocras, but it also
> says, according to the translator, that the spice-and-sugar mixture
> is called The Duke's Powder.
>
> Of course, some have argued that this should be translated as Powder
> Douce, or simply Sweetened Powder, and that it really has no relation
> to anyone of Ducal rank.

I wonder. IIRC the spelling is 'pouldre de duc', and Jeanne Bourin (admittedly
not a noted authority on linguistics, but a native speaker with some
experience in reading medieval texts) also believes that this refers to a
duke, not to sweetness.

Does anyone know how other recipes for poudre douce compare?

Giano