[Sca-cooks] Pennsic Corn

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sun Aug 27 14:55:04 PDT 2006

On 8/27/06, Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> This year, for whatever reason, there didn't seem to be as many corn
> stands along the roads near Pennsic as I remember in some previous
> years. We did stop at the only one we saw and picked up a doze ears,
> soaked them in the husk in a bucket of water and then cooked them in
> the husk on the grill. A bit riskier than boiling them, but they sure
> were good. Rather easy to either over or undercook them and once
> you've peeled away the husk to check them, I'm not sure you can just
> put them back on the grill for more roasting.
>
> Stefan

Stefan-

That technique is actually LESS risky a technique for cooking corn,
than say, stripping them and wrapping them in foil, or boiling them,
because the steaming technique (which is what it is) cooks them more
gently and thoroughly, and the corn actually holds longer, given the
protection of its natural wrapper. I learned the technique from a
bunch of partiers I knew who used to do pig roasts and corn on the cob
(often swiped from a nearby field) as an excuse to drink beer and
schmooze, and while the pigs were often chancy, the corn came out
perfect ;-) Basicly, even a drunk can figure out that when the wrapper
starts burning, it's time to pull the corn out, and the cooking
technique causes the corn to be well within the perfect range, whether
the ear is merely browning, or has actually started to burn...

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up
Hit it hard