[Sca-cooks] Green cardamom?

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 28 10:22:36 PDT 2006

I picked up some green cardamom yesterday at an Indian grocery (whole pods with seeds). I know of its use and versatility in Indian cooking, but I am curious as to its historical use, in Western medieval and Middle Eastern medieval cooking.

I've been experimenting with a bread baked in chicken recipe, and the basic recipe just calls for salt, pepper, lemon juice, and ground pistachios and almonds as flavorings. To this recipe I've added more flavorings: sauteed onions, a bit of garlic, fresh parsley, and cubebs. I am wondering if a little green cardamom would be a welcome addition.

Gianotta