[Sca-cooks] Back to onion steak

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Aug 29 09:24:31 PDT 2006

On Aug 29, 2006, at 11:28 AM, Michael Gunter wrote:

> On a totally other note, because of our onion steak discussion
> the other day last night I succumbed to temptation and made
> some. I heated a black iron skillet and added a little more oil
> than usual then tossed in half a sliced onion. Then cooked over
> low heat for about 40 minutes until they were golden and
> sweet. During the carmalizing process I took three small
> sirloin steaks and rubbed them with salt, pepper and garlic
> powder. Then moved the onions to the side and added the
> steak.  Cook until medium rare, serve topped with sweet
> golden onions. Fresh baked bread for sopping.

I did pretty much the exact same thing, on Friday night. I think what
I pulled out of the freezer turned out to be rib eyes. I used a whole
sweet onion (not a Vidalia but one of those flattish, pale yellow
ones of an almost-comparable sweetness), and then at the end splashed
a small sprinkle (maybe 1/2 teaspoon) of balsamic vinegar into the
onions. Plenty of fresh black pepper, too.

> Also, because it had been a bad day at work I started this
> meal with a glass of white zinfindel and same bread topped
> with a good goat cheese spread. I never liked goat cheese
> but this stuff was perfect. Maybe I've improved my palate.
>
> Mmmmmm.....

There's a decent range of different types of goat cheeses available
now, with some very different characteristics. You may simply have
run across one you liked, finally. I generally prefer cow's milk and
goat's milk cheeses to sheep's milk cheeses (with a couple of
exceptions), and my favorite cheesecake (apart from my Mom's when she
uses the Lindy's recipe) is the Provencale tourteau au fromage from
the Larousse Gastronomique, made with chevre, domed and caramelized,
looking like devil's food cake on the outside, pound cake on the
inside (although it is neither), with the flavor and aroma of both
toasted marshmallows and lemon, although it contains neither.

> Gunthar
>
> Oh, I'm a black skin marshmallow eater. Never liked s'mores
> or candied yams.

Candied yams. Hmmm. I've heard of those... My standard exposure to
yams and sweet potatoes is either in the form of fries or baked
sweets mushed up in a casserole with brown sugar and pecans, courtesy
of my sister-in-law, who is the daughter of one of the last of the
old-time Birmingham Hostesses...

Adamantius