[Sca-cooks] Marshmallow Recipe
osermart at msu.edu
Tue Aug 29 15:17:32 PDT 2006
Makes about 100
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin(each 1 scant tablespoon)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2/3 cup light corn syrup
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Vegetable-oil cooking spray
1. Coat a 12-by-17-inch rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray; line
with parchment paper. Spray parchment; set aside. Pour 1/3 cup cold water
into the bowl of an electric mixer. Sprinkle with gelatin; let mixture
soften, about 5 minutes.
2. Place sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 1/3 cup water in a medium
saucepan. Cover; bring to a boil. Remove lid; cook, swirling pan
occasionally, until syrup reaches 238° (soft-ball stage) on a candy
thermometer, about 5 minutes.
3. With mixer on low speed, whisk gelatin mixture, and slowly pour the
syrup in a steady stream down the side of the bowl (to avoid splattering).
Gradually raise speed to high; beat until mixture is thick, white, and has
almost tripled in volume, about 12 minutes. Add vanilla, and beat 30 seconds
4. Pour mixture onto prepared baking sheet; smooth with an offset
spatula. Let stand at room temperature, uncovered, until firm, at least 3
hours or overnight.
5. Coat a 1- or 2-inch snowflake-shaped cookie cutter with cooking spray
to prevent it from sticking. Cut out as many individual marshmallows as
possible; coat cutter with more spray as needed. Use marshmallows
immediately or store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1
Note: Float these snowflake-shaped marshmallows in cups of hot chocolate.
More information about the Sca-cooks