[Sca-cooks] Pecan pies was Yams, Pumpkins, Pecan Pie, was s'mores?

Sharron Albert morgana at gci.net
Wed Aug 30 20:43:45 PDT 2006

>lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
>>  I also want to make a pecan-cranberry tart, but he said it had to be
>>  a standard pecan pie - which i find disgustingly sweet.
>>  Anyone have a recipe for pecan pie which does NOT result in a thin
>>  layer of pecans floating on a deep layer of horribly sweet goo (or
>>  not even on a thin layer of horrible sweet goo)?
>  >
I find them way too sweet myself. But there's this modern
chocolate-pecan pie that's almost palatable to me and a hit with most
people.  It's still sweet, but it's chocolate (G).

And just so I'm not accused of being a spoon-tease, here's the
recipe. Just remember to bake it, not broil it (as I have done more
than once for some reason -- just this recipe).

Morgana yr Oerfa
Winter's Gate, Oertha, West

Chocolate Pecan Pie

1 (9-inch) unbaked pie shell
1-1/4 cups light corn syrup
1/2 cup sugar
4-oz. sweet cooking chocolate
1/2 cup evaporated milk, not diluted
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup pecan halves

Crimp edge of pie shell so it stands high and will hold the entire
amount of filling; set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C).

In a medium saucepan, combine corn syrup, sugar, chocolate and
evaporated milk. Stir constantly over low heat until chocolate just
melts. Very gradually stir hot mixture into beaten eggs, then stir in
pecans. Pour into unbaked pie shell.

Bake 50-60 minutes or until fairly firm. Center will be slightly soft
but will become firmer as pie cools. Makes one pie.
--Pies and Crusts Cookbook (I think it's a Sunset book, at least 25 years old)