[Sca-cooks] Pennsic history

Jenn Strobel jenn.strobel at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 06:47:53 PDT 2006

On 7/31/06, Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net> wrote:
> > They and the local economy profit get a substantial boost from
> > Pennsic. Some of you may remember a number of years ago that several
> > PA state troopers sat just down the road pulling folks over and
> > ticketing them for having the parking permit tags hanging from their
> > mirrors. IMHO, this was strictly a stunt to fill the local tax
> > coffers. That cost many SCA folk money they were needing for gas and
> > meals to get home. When word got back to Pennsic, and the Coopers,
> > apparently the Coopers made a few calls and the troopers disappeared
> > not to reappear in succeeding years.
>
> Just FYI, I believe those were local cops, and legend has it, from the
> next town over. The place where the alleged incident occurred wasn't,
> from all I have heard, a state or federal highway. Also, I'm not aware
> of ANY locality in PA that requires, or even allows, you to pay the
> tickets on the spot.

There is no area in Allegheny, Butler, or Lawrence Counties where you
can pay cash on the spot for a traffic ticket.  The closest i've seen
is in Wilkinsburg, where the parking ticket is an envelope and they
have little boxes that you can deposit the envelope with the fine
enclosed.

I have long been dubious about the parking tag = ticket rumour as I
work for an organization where our parking passes are hangars that
come down off of the rear-view mirror.  In the five years i've driven
around with something hanging off of my rear-view mirror, i've never
had a cop say so much as "boo".  I also see lots of people in the City
of Pittsburgh with trinkets hanging off of their rear-view mirrors
that are definitely blocking their view (Mardi Gras Beads,
dreamcatchers, fuzzy dice...).  I'd be curious to find out what the
law actually says, as vs. what the urban legends say.

Odriana
Pittsburgh resident and native.
--
"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."