[Sca-cooks] [OOP] Durable Cakes

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Aug 11 06:06:17 PDT 2006

On Aug 11, 2006, at 6:33 AM, Volker Bach wrote:

> So, does anyone know how long I can store cake 'bases' (sponge, pound,
> angelfood, I'm not picky) and how to do that best? any recipes for
> particularly long-lasting ones? Or could I just fridge a completed
> cak, say
> chocolate with apricot jelly filling and cocoa frosting, from
> Thursday till
> Monday without major ill effects?

I know genoise sponge keeps very well (it's a bit of a b*tch to make,
by most people's standards, but it's just an example of The Power of
Butter; I'm sure pound cake would keep just as well, not sure about
the others).

I'd bake it, brush it while still slightly warm with a coat or two of
melted apricot glaze as a sealant, cool and freeze. Should keep in
freezer for up to three months or so, then thaw and ice/frost (to
avoid weird condensation issues).

Adamantius