[Sca-cooks] [OOP] Durable Cakes

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Fri Aug 11 03:33:55 PDT 2006

I have a little planing problem. Monday in two weeks is my birthday, and I'd
like to bring a cake or three to work to share with my colleagues and
students. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, but I'd rather not face the
humiliation (and expense) of purchasing one at the bakery.

However - I will be at the Drachenwald Garb Meeting in Cologne from Friday
morning till Sunday evening, so there is no time for serious baking
beforehand. I was thinking of preparing pie shells or buying frozen puff
pastry and fridging fillings for a midnight quickie session, but then it
occurred to me: there should be enough time for filling or frosting cakes.

So, does anyone know how long I can store cake 'bases' (sponge, pound,
angelfood, I'm not picky) and how to do that best? any recipes for
particularly long-lasting ones? Or could I just fridge a completed cak, say
chocolate with apricot jelly filling and cocoa frosting, from Thursday till
Monday without major ill effects?

Thanks
Giano