[Sca-cooks] Sugar production

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 2 08:49:43 PDT 2006

Stefan wrote:
>I have a number of articles that have been submitted to me in  PDF
>format which I want to get online. However, while some can be
>searched, I don't think google and such are set up to do this.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. PDF files do show up in
Google. Additionally, Google offers to display PDFs as text or html
(albeit a bit clumsily), so i can avoid the time it takes on my
dial-up connection to open them if i'm not sure if i really want them.

>Also, before I put a file into the Florilegium I like to convert it to a
>format that is similar to the other files in the Florilegium with the
>appropriate notices and preferably the links to similar files in the
>Florilegium and such. I've gotten a program that supposedly converts
>PDF formatted files to Word format, but I haven't had time to
>investigate it. And it runs only on a PC and right now my PC seems
>to not be operating.

PDFs can be read on pretty much any system, as long as one has
downloaded a free reader. My printer usually gags on PDFs, so i'm
stuck reading on the computer. However, most are somewhat editable: i
can usually copy text in a PDF into another program and the graphics
in a PDF into a graphics program (although some PDF files seem to not
allow this) and print from these.

Word, on the other hand, is a commercial product that one must
purchase from Microsoft. If one does not have Word, one is, in a
word, f***ed. I don't have Word on this computer and that means i
often cannot read files people post in the files sections of Yahoo
lists - files i'd really like to read. I can pry them open and read
the text therein with another program, loosing formatting which is
often not essential, but i cannot see embedded graphics, which are
often essential.

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita