[Sca-cooks] OT Why I'm not going to Pennsic (Was Re: Florilegium formats and Pennsic class

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Thu Aug 3 01:09:11 PDT 2006

><<< Have fun at war, wish I could be there. >>>
>
>I'm sorry to hear this. I know you've made it to Pennsic before.

I haven't been able to go for the last couple of years because of
money issues.  My husband was disabled and unable to work, and was
appealing Social Security. It took 3 years to get a hearing. He just
won his case and should start receiving benefits in 90 days.  Which
puts it almost 4 years after the accident.  He'll get back benefits,
but much of it will need to replace the IRAs we had to withdraw.

<rant>
This is the wrong place to discuss this, but there is something wrong
with making people wait that long.  I think they just wait for people
to die.  The lawyer said he had clients living in their cars.

Thank goodness I was able to work during this time, but I lost my job
and the new one just barely paid rent and utilities.  I'm disabled
myself.   My old job was working for the state, and they don't pay
into SS.  I lost their disability coverage with the job, so I will
have to work another 2 1/2 years before I'm eligible for SS
disability, and then likely wait another 3 or 4 years for benefits.
So far I'm able to work, but it is often very hard.
</rant>

Since I work Saturdays and evenings I cant attend SCA events or the
local meetings, so only mailing lists like this have keep me involved.

I'm hoping to attend Pennsic next year, it appears that the money
issues are over.  My daughter wants very much to go, but its too late
to get time off from work and single camping is too far away for me
to deal with.

Ranvaig
(the soap opera continues)